Tuesday 29 December 2009

The Hotel California - Baclofen, Curing Our Alcoholism

A slight change of tack for the New Year. I know that only MaryAnne, God bless her, ever looks at the Song For The Day that I put on my Baclofen Diary. But the "Eminence Front" made me realise how many songs are written by, and for, people like you and me. And the important messages they may hold. After all, they are often written by highly intelligent, creative, motivated, otherwise successful tortured souls. Does that ring a bell with any of you?

So, as the mood or my mojo takes me (Ha!! - you would have to know me personally to know how ridiculous and tongue in cheek that is!!), I will use songs as the basis for my TFTD.

Today's is obviously not precisely to do with alcoholism. It goes much deeper than mere booze. But I use it as a metaphor for us, if a very diluted one!!

Welcome to the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like,
but you can never leave.


Many would have us believe that we are entombed in a problem from which we cannot escape. If, we're lucky and strong and supported we might, just might, come to terms with our entrapment. If so,, then we might, just might, live fruitful lives, doing as little harm to those around us as possible.

Many others just think that we're all kidding ourselves and that self-destruction is our inevitable path (be it tragically unfortunate and pre-ordained, or pathetically self-inflicted). To quote the song "we're just prisoners here of our own device".

Are they right? Don't bet on it. I don't believe that they are. I believe that we can escape.

Much on MWO is talked about our 'switch'. Personally, I see it these terms. It's probably just semantics and pedantics. But, after all, I'm a drunk. We're very good at both of those, especially when we're sober!!

I see my 'switch' as being the realisation of my persoanlity problems. It was that that put me in an alcohol cell. With knowledge of the 'switch' comes the 'key'. The 'key' out of my own cell is Baclofen. And that key is bigger or smaller for each of us. Others may need a different key. But our own switch never changes.

That's how I see it, and it works for me. Baclofen stops those voices calling from far away, waking me up in the middle of the night, just to hear them say......

So, don't put any more Pink Champagne on ice for my benefit!!!

I know that you won't (well, except MaryAnne!), but please now watch this amazingly special version of Hotel California. It is so fantastic. I couldn't believe it when I found it. MA thinks that Mr Clapton is a great guitarist. Personally I don't and never have. Just watch any of his videos. Think how good he could've been if he ever used the little finger of his left hand, except when playing chords. Just look at Joe Walsh and Glenn Frey on this version of Hotel California. Now, these chaps CAN play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Xo3xJkpP8

Let me know what you think about my TFTD.

Pip xx

4 comments:

  1. Pip,
    I am checking out of the Hotel and leaving it behind. Great post.
    NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I know my switch and I know the key. I can and will escape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you chaps. I put far too much effort into this, but you're now (almost) personal friendship at least gives me a giggle when I do it. I feel like I'm sending a personal message to a few close friends every day. Who the Hell does that?

    BTW, I haven't quite checked out yet. But I've asked for my bill. Dreading the mini-bar, though. Ha!!

    BTW, do you think I should post something like this everyday on MWO? Don't take offence (Pleeeaaasssee!!!), but they can be such a bunch of sanctimonious old fuckers who need a bit of a kick up the arse. They must mean well, but God Almighty, it could all be so much more efficiently.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!!! Checked out successfully, never going back! Great tftd Phillip! I tried to post on yesterday's but now forget my thoughts, my phone wouldn't let me, but it is great to be back & back to normal, thank God, next year & Christmas will be wonderful by comparison I am sure of it in my heart!!! MA

    ReplyDelete