Wednesday 25 November 2009

Alcoholism - a disease or just a weak will?

First of all, a huge thank you to Mary Anne for posting such a positive comment about the site. I really appreciate it. As I keep saying, the more you put into this site, the more both you and your fellow sufferers will get out.

So, what do you think? Is alcoholism a disease?

I think so, but I also think that the implications of that statement could allow some people to wallow in self pity, and think that it is up to someone else to sort it out for them.

I argue elsewhere on the www.baclofen4alcoholism.com site why I believe alcoholism to be a chronic, progressive, potentially fatal disease. Along the same lines as asthma or diabetes.

However, with both of these conditions, the patients themselves have a very significant responsibility to help their management or treatment run smoothly.

Exactly the same pertains to alcoholism.

We all know that.

The issue is that the medical authorities,the government, and the public do not, on the whole, seem to see it that way. They seem to think that it is just a bunch of sad old drunks, who have no will power and deserve absolutely nothing in the way of help.

Even more cynically, the government actively promote a toxic alcohol environment, where alcohol is the norm. Much more of that another day.

Until our problem is recognised for what it is, we are never going to get the help and support we truly need.

Please let me know what you think.

Don't forget, all you have to do is join Blogger. It takes about one minute, and is free, and then you can post comments to me all you like!

3 comments:

  1. I feel it is a bit of both, when I am determined to stay sober, I am fine, but when things affect my sensitive side, and I am around alcohol, it makes it a weakness............a disease once I start drinking, except w/ baclofen, I can curtail it so I don't go overboard and actually can enjoy a few beers w/ a friend, not like I am pressured, as last night, another story for another lifetime............this site is awesome, join in everyone!!!! MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Mary Anne, I too have found this site. I detest the shame that is put on us. I have dealt with the shame for 27 years now, and I dont know how I put up with it. No more - I have ordered my Baclofen and hope to receive it in a couple of weeks, not before I made an idiot of myself publically last weekend, but I am hopeful this will be the last time. I cant deal with the shame anymore. I dont whether its a disease or not, we definitely dont have an off switch, so maybe it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey sweetie, it WILL get better, we are all here for you, email me, go to here or mwo.........before you imbibe!! lots of love, MA

    ReplyDelete