Sunday 29 November 2009

You're never too old to learn .. I hope

It's a short thought today.

As I approach 50 (currently 48 1/2), it never ceases to amaze me how little I've learned throughout my life.

I've accumulated degrees, and prizes, and plaudits. Been on TV and radio lots of times. Made a couple of fortunes. Lost them again. Even written a book or two.

But, in real terms, I don't feel like my life has really begun yet. In fact, if you're listening God, I'd like to start again. Now that I seem to be able to stay just about alcohol free, I can clearly see that I've wasted the important bits.

My life has always been like me trying to get somewhere that was always just over the next hill. And alcohol most definitely fuelled that folly. I never stopped to see how great it was where I was. By the time I worked it out, I was already over the hill.

"Over the hill"

How well I understand those three little but unbelievably scary words now.

I hope that I've got time left to learn from them.

Just a little thought for today.

3 comments:

  1. wow, I am really sorry you feel that way, guess I am not far behind you?? up all night now, so checking your site out, looking great!!! MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, btw, now you got me noticing all the sags and stuff...........it IS depressing, but I still think firmly that exercise is the key to the fountain of youth..........when I do, I feel 20 again, even though I look 30???!! HAHA,that was a joke! MA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez if you think you havent done anything, then Ive done FA. I dont even have a degree - a couple of certificates, lol.

    I think my biggest achievement and one that I am immensley proud of, are raising two sane, well adjusted, drug free (like a drink like their parent tho) law abiding girls. I will definitely be advising them against daily drinking while they are still young. Dont know if they will listen, I doubt that I did at their age.

    ReplyDelete