Monday 28 December 2009

An Eminence Front - Baclofen, Curing Our Alcoholism

The very first time I heard this song by The Who, was live, and the riff simply blew me away. So unlike The Who that I had grown up with from the late sixties, through Tommy and Quadraphenia. Much more funky. I woke up this morning with this song just buzzing thought my head, so I decided to put is as SFTD on my Diary. You can get the link on today's Baclofen Diary entry. Trying to find a really good version on YouTube, it made me listen to the lyrics properly for probably the first time ever.

Well I know it was for the first time ever.

Pete Townsend is one of us. He has very well documented problems with alcohol and drugs. One of his other songs “Behind Blue Eyes” totally resonates with me, and I shall have that as my SFTD another time.

I don’t want to get into the habit of posting lots of boring old lyrics. So, forgive me a few minor indiscretions. I’ve missed out some verses, and rearranged them just a little.

The sun shines
And people forget
The girls smile
And people forget

Forget they're hiding

Behind an eminence front
An Eminence Front - It's a put on.

Come on join the party
Dress to kill
Won't you come and join the party
Dress to kill.

The drinks flow
People forget
That big wheel spins, the hair thins
People forget
Forget they're hiding

Behind an eminence front
An Eminence Front - it's a put on

How clever is that?

An eminence front that some of us put on because we are hiding. I know that I do. I have done for years. And I have forgotten so many really great things in my life.

The unfortunate thing is that the problem isn't out there. Something that we can avoid simply by putting up an eminence front and hope to hide behind. When we build our wall or front, we simple serve to lock the problem in with us.

However, notwithstanding that, I’ve just joined Mr Townsend’s not so exclusive club, and am joining the party. I can't promise being dressed to kill, though. He might have meant something totally different in this song, but that is what I have taken from it.

It's terribly sad to think of how many us try to join the party only to find that everybody else has already left. They all had a really great time - especially when we weren't there. Unless when we were there, we were nice, and kind, and smiling, and funny, and entertaining, and safe, and reliable, and very loveable. All the things that we often are underneath. Oh, I nearly forgot. And sober. I am told repeatedly that I am all those things in abundance when I am sober. I bet all of you lot are too.

I hope it's not too late for all of us to join the party. Baclofen will make that happen for so many of us this year.

I wouldn't presume to add to Pete Townsend's beautiful song.

Except, perhaps, with a verse or two of my own.

Your wife cries
And drunk men forget
Your girl laughs
And drunk me forget

Your boys smile
And drunk me forget
Your mother loves
And drunk me forget

Forget they’re hiding

Behind an eminence front
An Eminence Front - It's a put on.


Take care and may your God go with you.

Pip xx

4 comments:

  1. Isnt this why most of us drink, to hide behind, or give us that dutch courage that we dont have when sober. I know for me this was the case. I now have to find the dutch courage without the liquor - this was frightening for me once, now not so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really wanted to comment on my own TFTD, Trix, but I feel I must after what you posted.

    In all honesty, how many of us do you think realise all that you just posted?

    The 'switch' isn't how much Baclofen we need (as is being currently discussed on MWO). That self-realisation is the real switch.

    My question for you, my very dear and respected friend is this. And before you answer, I have to tell you that I don't know the answer.

    Do you have to have realised what the switch is for Baclofen to work?

    OR

    Can you knowing that you are an alcoholic, and taking Baclofen because others do, make the switch condence out of the ether for you to see?

    That is something I think I should have as a TFTD and ask on MWO.

    What do tou all think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Can you knowing that you are an alcoholic, and taking Baclofen because others do, make the switch condence out of the ether for you to see?"
    Not sure I understand this, is there a typo there - condence??? Or is it just my denseness - LOL. I am a lot light headed on this stuff.

    very interesting point Pip.

    I dont know either, but I think it helps. It takes the fear out of it. I think if you can see the daemon its easier to fight it. Just my thoughts, but one that would be a great TFTD and one that could be asked on MWO.

    Isnt it better to fight the cause rather than just stick a bandaid on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean that in no disrespect to anyone here, I relate it to my own battle.

    ReplyDelete