Thursday 17 December 2009

Threading the Eye of a Needle - Baclofen, Curing our Alcoholism

"Threads"

To be perfectly honest, until a few weeks ago, I had never ever heard of such a thing.

To be perfectly honest, I'm still not totally sure I know what they are.

To be perfectly honest, I'm absolutely certain that the people that post on them have absolutely no idea how powerful these posts are.

And, to be perfectly honest, I am one million per cent certain that they have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the potential implications of what they post.

I stress and strain over every word I put everywhere. I am often burned in effigy for what I say, but it is always a reasoned argument. I agonise over every word.

And I only speak to a very few.

"Threaders" or whatever you call yourselves speak to thousands. Lucky you!! Wish I did!!

Having taken your Baclofen, got fed up, and had a few drinks, you are able, at the flick of a switch, to sound off to the world about how crap Baclofen is. The ones who know you well, or even "pm" you, know what is going on and that it will pass.

The most important ones, the thousands of faceless people out there who just read what we are up to, WILL not understand. Not one bit.

Imagine yourselves like a popular correspondent for a popular newspaper. Do that, and you won't go far wrong.

I love a regular UK columnist called Richard Littlejohn. I read him avidly every week in the Daily Mail. He speaks for me, in many ways. Probably 100,000 people read him every week. He has an e-mail address through which to correspond with him. I have never e-mailed him. But, he has his regulars who do.

What you say as "senior members" is really taken on board by all the others who read you. Maybe thousands.

I, for one, totally understand that responsibility.

I'm sure that you do too.

As I have said elsewhere before, when you're threading your needle, have one eye on what is on the other side. It might just surprise you.

It is often said in academic circles that "cream rises to the top". I am already seeing that same phenomenon amongst your threads.

Please take that as a compliment. So much of what I say gets misinterpreted.

May your God go with you.

Pip xx

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand what mean. I have read "that thread". As a newbie to a certain site, I took on board everything that was said by everyone, the good and the bad and especially those "senior members", after all they must know what they are talking about, right?

    The readers who are new or dont know those other members dont know their ways and yes it is easily taken the wrong way. So how many others have taken it the wrong way and abandoned their missions or been scared witless at something that can transform their lives.

    I for one, took a long time to take the plunge due to such talk. Thank god, someone else came along who I could trust.

    Be careful what you say, because as you say you dont know how many people are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks and ashamed/guilty as charged..............ONLY a senior member.......wish they did not do that to us............due to the fact at one point(and again now) I have/had so much free time and a pc available.............I have always been there to try to help, and have been helped EXTREMELY by putting my problems out there, soooooooooooo long story short, (I try to be opened minded as possible.......not to take things personally here, there, or most places, esp w/ friends) sorry if I have ever given poor advice or information to anyone

    ReplyDelete
  3. MA you have only ever given positive supporting advice.

    You come across as the real deal, very genunine. You are not afraid to tell it as it is, and admit your faults and when you fall. When it comes to others pain, you are one of the first in there to support.

    This TFTD is not pointed at you, keep up the good work.

    Love ya
    Trix

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, just take some things A LITTLE too personally, always try to be helpful, but vent at times............this site is awesome, KUDOS to Pip for doing such a great job, am honored to be on the wall of honor, so sweet and thoughtful, but would we expect anything less?? MA

    ReplyDelete