Wednesday 2 December 2009

Thank you, Peter Pan

It's about 5.30am here, and I cannot sleep. Thought I'd do this now, because I can't guarantee doing it later. I know that at least three people read this self-indulgent nonsense every day, so that's something, I guess. Hardly makes me Samuel Pepys, though, does it? Ha!

The funeral starts at midday, and to say that this extremely close family is quiet would be doing it injustice. There are lots of us, and the air is normally buzzing with chat and laughter.

Not at the moment, though.

Peter Pan is one of my favourite stories. I have often been called Peter Pan because it appears to be the received wisdom around here that I refuse to grow up.

I don't know about that. I think I've done more than my fair share of ageing over the last six months.

JM Barrie wrote the following in Peter Pan -

"To die will be an awfully big adventure"

Today of all days, I hope and pray that he is right, and that Edith has joined her beloved parents, and that they're all having the biggest and best time ever.

Wouldn't that just be awfully nice.

Thanks for listening to me.
xxxx

4 comments:

  1. my heart is with you today, enjoy the family,be there to support your mum, she needs that............you are awesome and supportive, I am glad you have a close knit family, that is great...............see you when you get back. MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. guess my first post is not showing up...........probably my pc, just wanted to add, that you need to take time to reflect and grieve for YOU, so you may move on..........I had to do that later since I drank alot (was the tradition in our Polish family) when grieving death.............never dealing healthily with all the feelings involved............Hope you are ok, MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended a funeral yesterday, not a close friend, but never the less, still a sad occasion for those left behind - who are my close friends. I believe that we go to a far better place than where we are now, in fact I have been known to say hell is on earth....dont know about that one either. Anyway our thoughts are with you, thanks for being there for us, as we are here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally am not afraid to die, but really really dislike losing someone/thing I love........it is the nature of things to live and die..............I believe(this is just my personal view) that we just die and our energy goes on.........? If that makes any sense??) My heart aches when I care alot about someone and they are not here anymore.......I eventually get over it and at keast have the good memories, which I can go back to.........but the initial greiving process is difficult. Now that I don't drink(alcoholically at least) I would be able to deal alot better, lost my dad, brother, uncle, job and horse all within a year............man did I drink a hell of alot!? Kudos to Dr. Phill for dealing with this in a healthy way, and for being there for your mum and dad............you should deserve a medal of honor for that!!! MA

    ReplyDelete