Friday 4 December 2009

Treating My Alcoholism

Euripides was quite an insightful chap, by all accounts. Greeks were then. Not now, have you seen their economy?

In 'The Uninvited Guest' I quote the spoof Monty Python 'Philosophers' Song' about drunk philosophers. Very funny, and probably dead right. I have expounded for years about anything and everything. No topic escaped my incisive wit! Occasionally sober, but mostly not. To be brutally honest, never really all that incisive either.

But the following quote is not fuelled by drink. Euripedes wrote:

"He is not a lover who does not love forever"

I have failed as a lover. Several times, actually. The dark prince of philosophy known as Alcoholminus saw to that. Evidently, not as wise a man as Sophocles or Euripides, but a very persuasive collector of spirits.

When, yesterday, I saw my 85 year old uncle mourning his wife of almost 60 years, I realised a lot. Their life wasn't too short. But mine might be foreshortened already. I hope not.

Euripides wrote tragedies. That is where we now part company. I'm not into tragedies any more. I've had a belly full of tragedies. And so have the ones I love with all my heart. Funerals do that to you. Well, that one did.

This is where my tragedy ends. Baclofenus, our God of sobriety and of peace, will help me. I believe in him. Just make sure he helps you too.

To Julie. How did that happen? That wasn't in the script was it? Alcohol. Dear God.

The world is a mad place. And, for us, often a bad place too. Recently, I have wanted to get off this particular ride. I'd had enough to be frank, and the last bit didn't seem worth waiting for. Now, I don't feel like that. I think that I'll stay on to the (hopefully not too bitter) end. My Aunty Edith says I must. And she was bloody scary! Best I put off meeting her again for as long as possible.

If this message means anything to you, please pass it on.

Take care, all of you.
xx

4 comments:

  1. agree..........and congrats on the cider(what exactly is that, we don't have that luxury in the US) I think Julie will take you back, you have recovered..............she would be a fool not to, for that I will pray............hope you and your family are/have recovered from the funeral, it will take alot of time..............my uncle was like a second father (more close to him than my dad) and when I lost him I was 9 months af w/ AA..........took me about til Oct when my dad died, then I went off the deep end again.............love, MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cider is alcoholic apple juice MA, most refreshing, if you can stop and one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have said "stop at one or two" typo's seem to be a prob with me too. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha!! Thanks for clarifying that for me.......silly me.............and thanks for the typo, made me laugh on this otherwise dreary day!!! MA

    ReplyDelete