Thursday 10 December 2009

Society? Curing My Addiction to Alcohol

A quick TFTD today

It's very late and I've had a really bad day.

But have I?

I'm not very well, and I needed help.

I need a society to understand me. I need a medical support service to be there. I need close personal support. I need Baclofen.

Baclofen is easy.

The personal support is not for everyone, but I am so lucky that I have that.

I give up on society. Almost all sociopolitical groups fail people fall at every hurdle.

But, I live in the UK. The National Health Service in the UK gets nothing but criticism and crap from those that live here. Waiting lists. Waiting times in A&E etc.

How mad we are. It's far from perfect. But, I ask those of you who chat with me to consider this.

Today, I felt like shit. Without asking anybody in authority, without any appointment, I went to a brilliant acute hospital and said that I was feeling shit. This is a fantastic hospital doing major cardiac surgery. They were really nice, took my name and address and date of birth, my GP's name and asked me to take a seat. Within 2 minutes a lovely Triage nurse took more of my medical details. She politely asked me to take a seat so that an ECG could be done. 30 minutes later, I was in a cublicle, a (normal) ECG done, my bloods, BP, PaO2, peak flow taken, and a chest X-ray ordered.

No signing for anything (except that I had a mobile phone as a valuable!!!). No money. No insurance. No risk. No worries.

If you're an alcoholic with no life, no job, no prospects, no home - it would still be exactly the same.

Makes you think doesn't it?

I like being English.

May your God go with you

Pip
xx

7 comments:

  1. I paid $430 US for an appointment with my GP. I had to wait 3 weeks and the doctor told me he didn't know anything about naltrexone so he couldn't help me. That's more than my monthly rent payment...for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Evan
    Now, here's a radical thought. What if "people like us" could set up our own "Alcoholics Health Service" - the AHS.
    It would be difficult, but, I think, not impossible.
    Maybe that should be a TFTD for me. Get the MWO bods to come here in numbers, and I would discuss it more.
    It is doable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could set up a clinic to treat alcoholics I could best the status quo success rate by like 800% AND charge 1/10th the cost. But I'd need a doctor willing to put his credentials on the line and like $600,000 to get it up and running...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No you wouldn't Evan. For a lot less, you could do something amazing.
    Think bigger my friend. Think bigger.
    There is a scope for a worldwide internet AHS service. Baclofen makes that possible. It would have to be fantastic, with unbelievable support. But it is doable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, imagine having something like that worldwide, and the cool thing is it really works. In Australia our health system is failing badly. To be seen in a hospital emergency dept where I live, you would have to wait hours, possible all day, unless you have blood pissing out, you are unconscious or convulsing and unfortunately the colour of your skin plays a large part, as Im sure it does in many other countries.

    Evan I would have refused to pay a Doctor that said that to me, thats outrageous, almost robberty the amount you were charged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our system here sucks too, I ant the system you are talking about, would love to help fellow sufferers, love helping people!! Also would enjoy living in Europe, my gf in Denmark is always begging me to move there, sounds like the same system you have Phillip.... MA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant "want" not ant on there!! MA

    ReplyDelete