Wednesday 2 December 2009

Mark Twain got it dead right

He said "Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen".

Amen to that!

But, would I want to be eighteen again? Having given it lots and lots of thought the answer is no, I wouldn't. If I had my wish, I'd be thirty again. Maybe even 35. All the "getting there" nonsense would be out of the way (qualifications, growing up a bit, just enough relationship grief to keep you on your toes). That complete trifle-filled mass that I always seemed to have between my shoulder blades would have spewed out its last eruption long ago, and my shirts would remain clean forever.

I'd have just enough experience and wisdom to make a much better go of it this time; but more than enough energy and silliness to make it worthwhile. And I'd have a bit of cash in my pocket to sort out a few things, and enjoy my life and the people in it.

And I would know not to drink. Boy, oh boy, would I know not to drink.

Armed with this armamentarium of wisdom, energy and cash, I would have the time of my life. And, this time, I'd remember it, which would be a novelty. And I know exactly who I would want to share it with. That would be bliss indeed. What a shame. What a fucked up mess of a shame.

It is said that at 50, you still get the "urge", but you can't remember what for.

The cruel irony is that I absolutely remember what for.

Take care you lot.
xx

3 comments:

  1. sad ............and upset!! I am sad to see you feel so down, but upset at my ENTIRE day.......frustrating.............I am up an doff to work now. Love this site, I (like it or not!! :) ) will keep checking in.............. this is moving and helpful...love, MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hindsight is a wonderful thing. I listen to the "experts" now and wish I had listened to them. Drinking in your teens will/may lead to alcohol dependence down the track. I guess the positive side of this is, we have all realised that what we have been doing hasnt served us, and are taking steps to make the rest of our lives so much better.

    Sad thing is some people never realise this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry about that last post, full of self pity as I have had a few horrid days............feeling bad, should not have vented......I really think you are great Dr. Phill, so do not get get down on yourself about all this past stuff............there is always the future, you really ARE young, so am I , only 46, only 2 years behind you...........so chin up, I know you are dealing w/ alot of stress right now, that may be the trigger, GOD knows that does it to me!! lots of love, see you when you return from funeral..........MA

    ReplyDelete